Energy & Environment Committee
The “EEC” was formed as a volunteer steering committee for the Town of Colebrook by a vote at the March 2007 Town meeting. The vote was brought to the agenda by Emily and Bruce Katz to promote the conservation of energy and preservation of the environment. The committee has met four times since May 2007, and now has regularly scheduled evening meetings on the second Tuesday of every month. Approximately fourteen volunteers are currently involved and maintain contact via email, phone, and through the minutes of the meetings, which are going to be posted on the town website.
Vision: Making practical solutions that save money and the environment.
Mission: To provide information for residents and businesses to become “greener” and save money.
Energy Initiatives being considered or in progress:
1) Conducting Energy Audits with local utilities for town buildings, residents, businesses
2) Applying for grant funding to assist with upgrading to alternative energy sources
3) Investigating tax rebate programs for installation of renewable energy sources
4) Researching alternative energy technologies for use in near future
5) Obtaining and assembling informational resources for public use
6) Joining efforts with The BALSAMS Greenpath Expo in Fall of 2008
7) Publishing articles on Energy Conservation and Efficiency
Environmental Issues being addressed:
1) Fact-finding missions: Recycling Centers and Waste Management
2) Regular publication of recycling articles in conjunction with Transfer Station
3) Obtaining and assembling informational resources for public use
4) Grant and Funding searches and applications for special projects
5) Formulating Recycling Projects to promote recycling locally
Committee member contact information is available in the minutes.